Suggest a Course
Backyard Gardening: From Design and Layout to Pruning and Harvesting.
for a four-part series for Utah home growers!
Gardening 101 is full, but you still have a chance to register! Sign up for the waiting list and we'll call you if a spot opens up.
Garden Layout and Design
Wednesday, February 12, 6PM-8PM
- Garden design: Conventional, Square foot, Container, etc.
- Garden layout, crop rotation
- Seed verses bedding plants: Seed purchase and variety selection
- Early seed cultivation, estimating planting dates, propagation
Part 2: Soils, Preparation and Enhancement
Wednesday, February 19, 6PM-8PM
- Soils – preparation, amendments, fertilizers and composting
- Soil nutrients, plant deficiency symptoms
- Irrigation options and hydro-zoning
- Planting basics
Part 3: Year-round maintenance of the garden
Wednesday, February 26, 6PM-8PM
- Spring and summer planting, Tree planting and transplanting
- Integrated pest management (IPM), garden pests and diseases, weed management
- Utilization and storage of produce
Pruning Basics Field Day at WSU Annex
Saturday, March 8, 8:30AM-10:30AM
Directions will be given
- Pruning basics
- Hands on pruning for fruit and ornamental tree and shrubs.
: Brian Hadley, WSU Landscape Manager/Horticulturist
: February 12, 19, 26, & March 8th
: 6-8 p.m.
, rooms 424 & 425
: W5 lot, north of the stadium
: $49 per individual, $75 for two
Brian Hadley, Landscape Manager and Arborist for Weber State University, has worked for WSU for the past five years, and before coming to the University was with The Home Depot Garden centers and Red Butte Garden and Arboretum. His under graduate degree is in Botany and he is finishing his masters in Natural Resource Management. He was raised on a family farm in West Haven and has picked more ears of corn than he cares to remember.