*This Weber State course includes content and clinical time to prepare you to:
- Understand the pharmacological science and clinical techniques
- Take the Western Regional Examination Board (WREB) Dental Hygiene Local Anesthesia examination
- Obtain the credentials necessary to receive an endorsement to your dental hygiene license to administer local anesthesia in dental hygiene practice.
WSU Marriott Health Building Department of Dental Hygiene (see map)
Lectures: Room 480
Clinic practice sessions: Room 463
COURSE MATERIAL & PREPARATION
- After registering for the course, a self-study guide and an A6 parking pass will be made available to you.
- Complete all pre-session readings and exercises outlined in the study guide.
- Come to the workshop prepared to discuss the pre-session information, complete and successfully pass the workshop examinations, and practice local anesthesia techniques.
- Questions regarding course content, reading material, exam review and preparation, clinic practice time and other topics will be addressed the during the course.
- Clinic attire is required each day; uniform scrubs, clinic shoes, safety glasses/eyewear. All infection control protocols will be followed in the clinic setting.
- All disposable clinic supplies and materials to provide local anesthesia while in the course are included in the registration fee.
- A variety of anesthetic syringes will be available for use. All other instruments, i.e., cotton pliers, mouth mirrors are also on site. For the WREB local anesthesia examination, you will need to provide your own syringe and disposable materials and supplies. If you have a syringe that you would like to practice with, you are welcome to bring it with you to the workshop.
*Note: The required text book comes with a DVD that will be used during the workshop. You will need to purchase the book. Required text: Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 6th edition, by Stanley F. Malamed, Publisher Mosby.
Participants must show proof of professional malpractice/liability insurance coverage on the first day of the workshop. Please make a copy of your insurance endorsement for the course administrator. You will need proof of insurance to take the WREB Local Anesthesia examination, as well. If you do not have insurance in force, it is suggested that you contact an insurance agent immediately. Examples below:
- Pie Insurance
445 East 4500 South SLC, Utah 84107
- Seabury and Smith
1440 North Renaissance Dr. Park Ridge, IL 60068-1400
1-800-323-2106 ext. 34479
- You are responsible for obtaining and completing a WREB Local Anesthesia Examination application.
- Identify and reserve the testing dates that satisfy your scheduling needs at www.wreb.org
The workshop may be cancelled in the event of insufficient registration and/or circumstances beyond the control of Weber State University or the Dental Hygiene department. Refunds will be limited to tuition fees only.
- For general registration questions
- For specific course questions
Any participant requiring accommodations or services due to a disability must contact Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) in room 181 of the Student Services Center, 801-626-6413.