Honors in the Visual Arts
To earn Departmental Honors in Visual Arts, a student must:
1. Be declared as a B.F.A. major;
2. Fulfill all the departmental requirements for a B.F.A., including:
3. If your emphasis is 2D, 3D, or Photography you must take the BFA Seminar and then the BFA Thesis. These cannot be taken consecutively. At least one semester must separate these two
courses. You must earn a grade of no lower than 3.7 in both of these courses.
4. If your emphasis is Visual Communications you must take the Design Seminar course and receive a 3.7.
3. Exhibit in a BFA show approved by the faculty or, if your emphasis is Visual Communications, participate in the Portfolio Review.
4. Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and a departmental GPA of 3.7.
5. You are required to join and participate in the AIGA or the Student Art Guild.
6. You must take one honors course. This may be an Honors General Education course.Students who have not completed their General Education requirements are encouraged to take Honors General Education classes.
How to apply for Departmental Honors in the Visual Arts:
Students must apply to be awarded departmental honors and be cleared by both the Visual Arts
Department and the Honors Program.
Complete the application for Departmental Honors and submit it to the Honors Program (2nd floor
of the Stewart Library).
Meet the requirements listed above.
Visit with Marilyn Diamond, the Honors advisor, to be cleared for graduation with Departmental
Honors. (626-7336) firstname.lastname@example.org
Students earning departmental honors will be recognized in the following ways:
“Department of Visual Arts” designation on the transcript.
“Department of Visual Arts” printed on the degree diploma.
Personalized letter signed by the President of Weber State University and the Honors Director.
Invitations to Honors educational and social events.
Invitation to Honors Nye-Cortez banquet at the end of the academic year.
For more information, contact:
Matthew Choberka Dept. Chair 626-7270
Honors Department: 626-7591